“In that day you will not ask Me anything. I assure you: Anything you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. Until now you have asked for nothing in My name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.”John 16:23-24 HCSB
Because of this teaching by Jesus, believers pray in the name of Jesus. The early church leaders drew their authority in the name of Jesus; they knew what it was like to attempt things in their own power and had witnessed the power only available in the name of the Son of God.
Through His name…
- …we access the power of the Creator and acknowledge our weakness
- …we receive victory over sin and resist temptations
- …we connect to God the Father and overcome this earthly kingdom
- …we give honor to our King and bow in submission to His kingdom
- …we give thanks for the Son’s sacrifice and admit our need for salvation