(A simple series highlighting verses from each chapter of the book of Proverbs)
When the righteous thrive, a city rejoices; when the wicked die, there is joyful shouting. A city is built up by the blessing of the upright, but it is torn down by the mouth of the wicked. Whoever shows contempt for his neighbor lacks sense, but a person with understanding keeps silent. A gossip goes around revealing a secret, but a trustworthy person keeps a confidence. Without guidance, a people will fall, but with many counselors there is deliverance. (Proverbs 11:10-14 CSB)
When you think about your city, what comes to mind? When you consider the spiritual state of your city, how do you describe it?
These five verses speak into the health of a city’s life.
- If a city wants to thrive, wickedness must be overcome by righteousness.
- If a city wants to thrive, blessings should be given to the upright rather than the wicked.
- If a city wants to thrive, neighbors must pursue understanding one another rather than showing contempt.
- If a city wants to thrive, citizens must build trust by respecting one another.
- If a city wants to thrive, it must have clear direction coming from wise leaders.