Almost 365 days ago, I ran an 11k in North Carolina on 1-1-17. Not a whole lot of those offered. So why did the race coordinators plan that? The mantra was do a little more, which I translated, push yourself. So instead of running traditional 5ks or 10ks, we did 6ks and 11ks. I wasn’t terribly excited that morning, though. Two days prior I had some ridiculous stomach virus unlike anything I’ve ever had. So without much energy I lined up at the start line. Thanks to good training and raw stubbornness I managed to finish first in my age group.
What I took away from that experience was the goal to do a little more throughout this year in my running. So in setting a total mileage goal for the year, instead of 1,000 I set the goal for 1,111. Happy to say I met that, and a little more (1,133).
In my blog entry on January 17, the word I set my mind on for 2017 was thrive, and for the most part I did. Being a numbers guy, here are a few of my stats:
- Completed 7 races: 5k, 10k, 11k, and four half marathons
- Checked off 6 states on the goal to running in all 50: AR, DE, IN, KY, NC, TN (Total stands at 15)
- Total miles for the year: 1,133 (For the last 9 months, mileage increased from prior month making December the highest total month for the year).
Looking into next year, my phrase is this-More of the Same. Here are my goals and current plans:
- Total mileage: 1,200
- Run an ultra marathon-(50k, 31 miles)
- Check off at least 3 more states-(my eyes are on MS, OH, PA)
Running may not be your thing. Whatever your thing is, how did 2017 go and what do you want to achieve in 2018?