Possibilities. Endless they are.
If you allowed yourself, you could drive yourself nuts thinking about them. All the “what could/should have beens,” “if onlys,” or “just supposes” are quite mind blowing. For instance:
- What if Cain hadn’t killed his brother?
- If only Moses hadn’t struck the rock.
- What could have been Samson’s legacy?
- What if Ruth didn’t follow Naomi?
- Just suppose Israel never selected king #1.
- If only David hadn’t stayed home.
- Just suppose Esther wasn’t successful.
Those are just a few before Jesus decided to make his earthly appearance-before he showed us that overthinking the possibilities is unnecessary when he’s in the picture.
As we consider the past, live out the present, and look into the future, in order to keep our sanity we must keep Jesus in the picture. He helps us make sense of it all. For those wanting perfect peace, keep your mind stayed on Jesus.
You will keep the mind that is dependent on you in perfect peace, for it is trusting in you. (Isaiah 26:3)