Recently-well, before “stay in place orders”-a ministry leader stopped by the office to leave some information. He was with The Bivocational and Small Church Leadership Network. Check out their website; you’ll learn some things like I did.
One of the pieces this leader left with me was a book, Uniquely Bivocational: Understanding the Life of a Pastor who has a Second Job, which I’m reading now.
For sure, there are unique things to consider about a man finding himself living this out. However, after reading chapter 8, The Need for Balance, there are general things for believers, and particularly any ministry leaders, to keep in mind. For instance, here’s the list of twelve keys to achieving balance Gilder mentions:
- Put God first in your life
- Establish priorities
- Link your calling to your calendar
- Have a clear purpose and direction for your life
- Be proactive rather than reactive
- Maintain a clear conscience
- Find an accountability partner
- Have a family council
- Find the secret of contentment
- Realize you are not superman
- Make regular deposits into your emotional bank
- Do what you do as unto the Lord
Look like a list that could help your balance?
Yes, I’m reading this book as designed. But I’m finding that much of it could be generally applied to anyone desiring to live as God would have them-Uniquely.