Releasing this book last year, there’s no way Andrew Davis knew how helpful this book could be this year.
I agree with a life coach that said this about COVID-19: “It’s not creating fear. It’s exposing the fears we already had.” The same could also be said about our contentment.
Each of the twelve chapters are rich. The most helpful ones are entitled The Mysterious Mindset of Contentment (5), The Excellence of Christian Contentment (7), The Evils and Excuses of a Complaining Heart (8), and Contentment in Suffering (9). Here are quotes from the entire book to help you tap into the power of contentment:
- Christian contentment is finding delight in God’s wise plan for my life and humbly allowing him to direct me in it.
- It is no stretch to say that the Lord may orchestrate amazingly challenging circumstances for you and your family for the primary purpose of giving your supernatural hope and Christian contentment a platform.
- Abiding, supernatural contentment is a “secret” to be learned, not part of the original equipment of conversion.
- Cosmologists estimate the total number of stars in the universe to be 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Each of those stars is named and sustained moment by moment by God.
- The combination of complete satisfaction in the world and complete dissatisfaction with the world is a mystery of contentment.
- There is an inherent humility in Christian contentment and a basic arrogance in discontentment.
- Tempting a content man is like shooting flaming arrows at an iron wall.
- Christian contentment enables us to worship God excellently, in a way far purer and more glorious than any other form, better than hearing a sermon or attending corporate worship without contentment.
- Esteem contentment highly; hate complaining passionately.
- Old wicked habits die through starvation, and new godly habits grow through obedience.
- American evangelicals of the 21st century are the wealthiest Christians in the history of the church. According to one study, evangelicals worldwide collectively made $7 trillion in income for that year. The Christian income in America represents nearly half of the world’s total Christian income. That is a massively weighty responsibility for American Christians.
- The tapestry of our life’s history is made up of Todays.
- God sees everything in super slow motion, and every microsecond of history is calculated and part of God’s providential plan. Don’t let Satan speed things up. Slow down! Breathe!
- Ask the Holy Spirit to show you how your electronic devices, especially your smartphones, are making you discontent.