Joshua 9 tells a story of deception. And it is summed up by verse 14, “So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the Lord.”
Here are a few strategies and guidelines to avoid being duped by deceivers:
- Keep in mind that what you see has a story that does or doesn’t match what you hear.
- Responding in haste increases your chances of being deceived.
- Never make a decision without counsel, either from preset guidelines or from momentary inquiries.
- Listen to the voice of God. Ask him before responding, even when the request appears to be pure. Let him give you assurance.
- Take the necessary time you feel led to take to respond. Human emergencies rarely seem urgent to God.